To read the press release on the suspension of the program, click here.
South Africa Financial Information
SCT Study Away Scholarship
A limited number of scholarships are available to qualified Temple students. The amount of the scholarships varies and is based on need and merit. The awards will range from $500-2,000 and the amount of the award is determined by SCT Study Away in consultation with Temple’s financial aid office. Awards will be given depending upon the amount of funds available. Please apply using the program application form.
- SCT Scholarships
- Temple University’s Education Abroad Scholarship Resources page
- The Foundation for Global Scholars
- The Gilman Scholarship
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for full-time students (6 credits):
PA state residents: $3,012 (tentative)
Out-of-state residents: $4,878 (tentative)
PA state residents: $687 per credit, plus university fee of up to $295
Out-of-state residents: $961 per credit, plus university fee of up to $295
Fees (for all students):
Program fee: $2,300*
University Services Fee: $213 (tentative)
International Insurance Fee: $51
* Program fees include breakfast; kitchen facilities are available for other meals. The International Insurance Fee is a new, mandatory university fee for all student participating in an international program beginning with Spring 2013.
Included in the tuition and program fee:
- One six-credit SCT Journalism course with a focus on news and documentary production or a focus on media research
- Group field trips in and around Johannesburg
- Shared student housing in a bed and breakfast in Johannesburg
- Access to a university library
- Ground transportation to and from ORT International airport
- Ground transportation in and around the city and to and from outlying townships
- An orientation session and a tour of the city
Other estimated costs:
- Passport (for a new one, fees can total $110)
- Meals: $440. This will vary depending on style of living.
- Mobile phone rental: $200
- Daily expenses: $600. This will vary depending on style of living.
- International Student Identity Card: $25
- Round-trip airfare from Philadelphia: $1,500-$2,000