Please note that for parents to have access to their son or daughter’s educational records, including academic status (such as registration information, grades and more), the student needs to complete the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) waiver.

If you have any questions that are not listed here, please contact SCT Student Affairs/Advising Center at 215-204-5273 or advise@temple.edu.

In Case of Emergency

How can I reach my son or daughter if we have a family emergency?

A: Please contact Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234. They will make contact with the student.

Q: What should my son or daughter do in the case of an emergency?

A: He or she should call the Temple University Police Department at 1-1234 (on-campus) or 215-204-1234 or use the emergency blue phones located around campus.

Q: Where would I locate information about Temple’s emergency preparedness plan?

A: Please visit: www.temple.edu/safety/emergencypreparedness.

Academic Advising, Policies, and Related Information

Q: How does my son or daughter get in touch with their academic advisor?

A: Please visit Room 9 in Annenberg Hall to schedule an appointment with an advisor or call 215-204-5273. Please also check the “walk-in” hours posted on the SCT student Affairs website.

Q: My son or daughter can’t remember how to locate the information that an advisor gave him or her during an advising session.

A: Your son or daughter can view notes, along with links to important websites, from an advising session in Owlnet. Click on the DARS/Advising tab and then on Advising Notes on the left-hand side of the page.

Q: Where may I locate an academic calendar noting the start and end of classes each semester?

A: Please visit: www.temple.edu/registrar/acad_calendars.html.

Q: What if my son or daughter needs to change his or her major within SCT?

A: He or she needs to complete the “Declaration or Change of Concentration Within College For Undergraduate Students” and drop the form off at SCT Student Affairs/Advising Center in Room 9 Annenberg Hall.

Q: What if my son or daughter wishes to change his or her major outside of SCT, such as to Business?

A: He or she needs to complete the “Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application for Undergraduate Students” and submit it to the Advising Center of the School or College into which the student wants to transfer (i.e., the “new” college). Forms may be submitted any time except during January and August.

Q: Where can I locate information related to university or academic policies, including Academic Warning or Probation?

A: Please visit the Undergraduate Bulletin: www.temple.edu/bulletin.

Q: My son or daughter has concerns about a grade he or she received. What does he or she do?

A: Please donwload PDF document “SCT Procedures for Complaints and Appeals of Grades” for information about grades.

Campus Safety

Q: If I have questions concerning campus safety, whom do I contact?

A: Please visit: http://css.ocis.temple.edu or contact Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234.

Q: What safety services and programs are offered to students?

A: Temple’s Campus Safety Services offers a shuttle service which runs from campus to campus as well as the “to your door” (TUr door) service, which transports students from Main Campus to their off-campus residences in surrounding neighborhoods. Download the map and schedule, click here for link (PDF).

Commencement and Graduation

Q: What is the difference between graduation and commencement?

A: Commencement is the University ceremony, which is open to all graduating students within Temple. Graduation is the school-wide ceremony, which is open to all graduating students within SCT. Commencement and Graduation are two separate ceremonies. Commencement is held only in May while Graduation is held in January and May.

Q: My son or daughter is graduating, where can I get information?

A: For graduation information, please visit the Graduation Information page. For university commencement information, please visit www.temple.edu/commencement/.

Q: What is the graduation process?

A: When a student has completed 90 credits, he or she needs to make an appointment with an SCT Academic Advisor for a graduation review. The Advisor and student will discuss remaining requirements for graduation as well as the graduation process during this meeting. Additionally, the student needs to complete a mandatory online graduation application, which can be submitted at: https://tumanage.temple.edu/gradapp/Login.aspx. Diplomas will not be mailed in cases where this form has not been completed. Students will also be instructed to pay via TUpay the standard University graduation fee. Payments of graduation fees are not accepted at the Bursar’s Office. Any student who has a hold on their record must take care of resolving the hold prior to graduation. Diplomas will not be released to students who have holds on their accounts. Additionally, all students who have had financial aid are required to complete an exit interview at: www.temple.edu/bursar.

Contributions to the School

Q: How do I make a contribution to the School of Communications and Theater?

A: Please visit: www.temple.edu/sct/alumni/support.html.

Counseling and Self-Help

Q: If my son or daughter needs individual counseling, group counseling, or self-help resources, who should he or she contact?

A: Tuttleman Counseling Services
Phone: 215-204-7276 | www.temple.edu/studentaffairs/counseling

Diamond Dollars and Temple Purchases

Q: How do I add money to my son or daughter’s Diamond Dollars account?

A: Please visit www.temple.edu/diamonddollars/deposits.htm for information about making deposits.

Q: How do I purchase Temple clothing/gifts?

A: Please visit the Temple University Bookstore.

Directory Information and Contacts

Q: Where do I locate the School of Communications and Theater faculty/staff directory?

A: Please visit: www.temple.edu/sct/contact/directory.html.

Q: My son or daughter is a prospective student and would like to visit the School of Communications and Theater. Who does he or she contact and does this need to be scheduled in advance?

A: It is best to schedule in advance in order to ensure that someone is available to assist you. Please contact the Office Manager for the department in which you would like to visit. Please contact as follows:

  • Advertising: 215-204-4268
  • Broadcasting, Telecommunications, and Mass Media: 215-204-3041
  • Communications: 215-204-6434
  • Film and Media Arts: 215-204-3859
  • Journalism: 215-204-8346
  • Strategic & Organizational Communications: 215-204-7540
  • Theater: 215-204-8414

Q: How do I contact Temple University Student Affairs?

A: Please visit the Student Affairs site: www.temple.edu/studentaffairs.

Enrollment Information and Transcripts

Q: Our family insurance company (or my employer) is requiring proof that my son or daughter is (or was) enrolled at Temple. How do I get that information?

A: This documentation is referred to as Enrollment Verification, and the student may obtain this document through Owlnet. Please visit: www.temple.edu/registrar/services.html#enrollment for more detailed information.

Q: Where can I locate information related to my son or daughter’s program of study and related policies?

A: Please visit the Undergraduate Bulletin at: www.temple.edu/bulletin and look for the appropriate academic year for when your son or daughter selected their major.

Q: My son or daughter needs a transcript. How does he or she obtain one?

A: Please visit: www.temple.edu/registrar/services.html#transcript for information about obtaining a transcript.

Financial Aid and Billing

Q: How can I get information on financial aid for students?

A: Please contact Student Financial Services. For students at Main Campus, call 215-204-2244 or visit their website: www.temple.edu/sfs.

Q: When will my son or daughter receive their tuition bill?

A: The billing schedule is available at: www.temple.edu/bursar/current/billingInfo.htm

Bills are not mailed out; they are available electronically through Owlnet.
The Bursar’s Office can be reached at 215-204-7269.

Parents’ Access to Information

Q: Why am I not able to access all of my son or daughter’s information?

A: For more information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), please visit:

Student Health and Medical Withdrawal

Q: If my son or daughter becomes ill, where does he or she go?

A: He or she can go to the Student Health Services.
Phone: 215-204-7500 www.temple.edu/studenthealth

Q: What does my son or daughter need to do if he or she needs to medically withdraw for the semester?

A: All the information regarding the medical withdrawal is on the “Form for withdrawal for medical reasons (.doc)“. He or she needs to download the document, read it throughly, fill it out and submit it to an academic advisor. Medical documentation is required for medical withdrawals. The medical withdrawal process requires a student to withdraw from all courses during the semester, and a medical withdrawal will not be approved in cases where a grade has been earned.

Q: Are there immunization and medical requirements for new students enrolled at Temple?

A: For information, please visit: www.temple.edu/studenthealth/General_Information_for_Incoming_Students.html

  • School of Media and Communication

    Annenberg Hall
    2020 North 13th Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19122