Materials For Basic Photography

Expect to produce around 100 prints. You may want to consider buying certain items in bulk for savings.

SD Card: This is the memory card for your camera if you are renting a camera from the equipment office. They will provide the camera for you but you need to purchase your own card.

Photo Paper: Photo paper must be for Inkjet Printers. Do not buy darkroom photo paper. Paper size is 8.5 X 11 inches.  It’s recommended that you get a paper with a pearl, satin, semi-gloss or glossy finish for our printers.

Mat Boards: Mat boards must be black. Board size is 11 X 14 inches. No foam core. No cutouts.  When you are done printing your images you will mount them to your mat boards.

Mounting Tissue: To adhere your photo to the mat board you need mounting tissue. To use the mounting press we have you will need to purchase ColorMount Permanent Dry Mounting Tissue from Bienfang. It should be at least 8 X 10 inches but up to 8.5 X 11 inches in size.

Renting Cameras from the SCT Equipment Office

 1. If you haven’t rented from the equipment office in this building yet you need to agree to their policies. Go to and you should see “see Policies” at the bottom of the page. You must agree to them before renting.

2. Fill out the slip that you received in class with your information and the camera you prefer to rent. You have access to the Nikon D40, Canon T2I and the Nikon D60.

3. Bring the red slip into the equipment office on Monday or later today. If you turn it in on Monday you will be able to take your camera on Wednesday. If you agree to the policies online and bring in your slip to the equipment office (on the first floor on Annenberg across from the elevator) you will be able to rent. You do not need to go online and request your rental there because you are renting the camera for the entire semester.