To read the press release on the suspension of the program, click here.
The summer program in South Africa offers students an opportunity to produce journalistic and documentary narrative or to conduct research. The production option will allow students to experience what it would be like to work as a foreign correspondent in South Africa. The research option will provide students an opportunity to conduct research on a range of topics related to mass media, communication technologies, politics, culture and economics in post-Apartheid South Africa.
- Study topics ranging from mass media, social media and the rapidly changing political, social, cultural and economic issues in post-Apartheid South Africa
- Produce weekly journalistic stories and a longer documentary project
- Take classes in communications or journalism with a focus on news and documentary production or a focus on media research
- Live in the trendy Melville neighborhood, of the northwestern suburbs of Johannesburg, where journalists, artists, students and musicians frequent the many sidewalk cafes ad restaurants
- Visit historical Apartheid museums, World Heritage sites and media organizations based in Johannesburg
Check out this interview with South Africa alum, Nick Peterson!
To learn more about applying to this program, click here.
Or read more about…